Re: Topband: Zo of an individual CAT5 twisted pair

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Zo of an individual CAT5 twisted pair
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 22:04:43 -0700
On 8/13/2013 2:00 PM, Tom W8JI wrote:
Balanced lines, by system definition, are where a line has equal and opposite voltages from each conductor to "ground" or to space around the conductors and between the conductors, along with equal and opposite currents in each conductor.

Actually, the balance of a circuit is defined by its impedances to the reference plane. If the impedances are equal, it is balanced. The best analysis I have seen of balanced circuits is by Bill Whitlock of Jensen Transformers, who correctly recognizes a balanced interface as a Wheatstone bridge. As recognition of a large body of work, including this, Bill was elected a Fellow of the Audio Engineering Society. And as a result of this work, IEC Standards for the measurement of common mode rejection ratio (CMRR) were changed. To appreciate the significance of this, the people who write these standards include representatives from many countries and companies around the world, and they are VERY reluctant to change, so it means that his analysis convinced a lot of very good engineers.

It is the balance of the impedances, as well as the ratio between the circuit impedance and the common mode source and load impedances that gives the balanced interface its inherent noise rejection, and determines the magnitude of the rejection. And it is the balance of the circuit that sets the degree of balance of the voltages and the current in any circuit, not the other way round.

Another point -- for interference rejection to occur, these impedance relationships must be satisfied at all frequencies where rejection is desired. For example, an audio circuit may be balanced at audio frequencies, but not at RF. Such a circuit would strongly reject audio frequency fields, but would not reject RF fields.

Whitlock's original paper was presented at the San Francisco AES Convention in October 1994 (it followed Neil Muncy's paper on SCIN and the Pin One Problem) (I was there) and was published in the June 1995 Journal of the AES. That issue is available from the AES Website for about $10, it appears that he will mail you a copy if you ask. The essence of his analysis is in various tutorials on the Jensen Transformer website. http://www.jensen-transformers.com/apps_wp.html

The paper you want is "Balanced Lines in Audio - Fact, Fiction and Transformers"

>A twisted pair transformer, even in transformer mode, often
>has significant capacitance between conductors. Because of
>the capacitance increase, it no longer is independent from
>primary to secondary for voltages.

I've never heard of a "twisted pair transformer." Perhaps you could provide a description?

ANY magnetic transformer has stray capacitance between the windings, as well as stray capacitance between turns. The amount of that stray will depend on spacing, winding style, conductor size and shape, and the dielectric. Bifilar windings, where one winding is a primary and the other a secondary, has a lot more stray capacitance between primary and secondary than the same windings at widely spaced parts of a magnetic core. And even then there will be capacitance between primary and secondary if the core is a ferrite because ferrites are a dielectric. :)

But what I really like about your post is that it strongly reinforces my primary point, to which I think you were responding -- that the word "balun" is used to describe so many different physical circuit elements, and arrangements of circuit elements, that it clouds the issue. And that the only good way to understand how things work, to discuss how things work, and how well they work, is to use words that accurately describe them.

73, Jim K9YC
Topband Reflector