Re: Topband: Hairpin Matching Coil Questions

To: "'Jim GM'" <jim.gmforum@gmail.com>, "'topband'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Hairpin Matching Coil Questions
From: "Charlie Cunningham" <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 11:59:03 -0400
Hi, Jim

I don't see why the "hairpin" matching coil should be adding BCI. The
inverted L above it should be picking much more broadcast signal than the
coil! Sounds like your matching coil may have enough inductance that it's
resonating the inverted L in the broadcast band.

The idea behind the "hairpin" match, is that the antenna is shortened a bit
and the hairpin, or matching inductor is adjusted to bring it back to
resonance at the desired matching frequency in combination with the
capacitive reactance of the shortened antenna element. (Of course, this can
require a bit of "juggling" of antenna length and matching coil inductance
to get to a 1:1 match.)

73,
Charlie, K4OTV