Re: Topband: W8ji ATR-10 design 160M?

To: Paul Christensen <w9ac@arrl.net>, topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: W8ji ATR-10 design 160M?
From: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 15:37:09 +0000
Very interesting! I remember seeing transposition blocks at hamfests when I was
a kid but I didn't know what they were at the time. Looking up some old
patents, e.g. http://www.google.com/patents/US2305688 and
http://www.google.com/patents/US2135344 show something very similar to what I
saw as a kid.

The advice I was always given about parallel lines, is to have some twist in
them, not just to help with balance, but to help prevent them from turning into
"sails" in high wind.

Where possible I try to put my tuner where the wire enters the shack. I thought
I was pretty clever the way I set up my link-coupled tuner, wall-mounted L
network, plugboard to select L and C based on band, etc., then I open an old
issue of QST and there's a picture of a kid who had the EXACT same setup on the
wall of his shack 60 years ago. I mean, exact.

Tim N3QE