Re: Topband: Aluminium roof vs antenna performance

To: Riccardo Negro <ik2caw@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Aluminium roof vs antenna performance
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 13:45:09 -0700
I had a 40m and 80m top loaded vertical on galvanized steel roofs. The 80m was outstanding for DX and the 40m so-so since the roof was not well bonded electrically. IMO, unless you can insure electrical connectivity along the panel seams there will be no advantage to the foil. You would probably be better off with a good radial field under the poly foam, a small gauge wire will work if you put up 50 or so radials and you could staple those to the roof sheathing. Then you could extend that radial field with some elevated radials if space permits.

Grant KZ1W