Re: Topband: The Stew Perry Warmup

To: James Rodenkirch <rodenkirch_llc@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: The Stew Perry Warmup
From: Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 08:27:38 -0400
On 10/19/2013 08:18 AM, James Rodenkirch wrote:
Bill: I'll be in it as a QRP entry and just can't wait for later this afternoon to roll around. With a simplistic single band rig, designed by Steve Weber, KD1JV, I won't have the needed filtering to keep the "big boys" from overloading my rcvr front end so, occasionally, I'll need to QSY up the band to find a quiet spot to call CQ....with QRP power, I may not "hold the frequency" but at least, as evidenced in previous Stew events, I do get some calls.

Was experimenting with 3 watts out the other morning --- worked a K4 in AR ---- what a hoot to reach that far with 3 watts on Top Band...may be an indicator of fair to middlin band conditions.

Hope to hear and work lots of youz during this fun Pre-Stew event.

72, Jim Rodenkirch K9JWV

Hi Jim,

With the antenna I have I'm virtually QRP with the Ranger. The ranger puts about 35 watts (maximum) into a 50 ohm load. My antenna is not quite 50 ohms resistive. I can load it and be heard with the L matcher reconfigured with L and C in series. I cannot work all the stations I can hear - some of them DX. When I get the DX-100 reworked I'll probably use that unless/until I get something better for an antenna - or maybe get the present antenna up further off the ground. The old Heathkit TX should give me just enough of a boost to get "over the hump".

CU in the Stew.

73,

Bill  KU8H
Topband Reflector