Re: Topband: Amp Supply LK-500ZC

To: "Edwin Karl" <edk0kl@centurytel.net>, <topband@contesting.com>, <galicic@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Amp Supply LK-500ZC
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 17:38:58 -0400
Ive had a ZC since 1986 and its been used pretty hard in contests and DXing but I keep it around 1200W. The original Eimacs are still putting out full power.

The only problem spot is on the front wafer where the 160M padder tap is right next to the ceramic insulator for the switch hardware. It can arc thru the nylon washer and Ive seen some that have actually burnt away the wafer! The cure is a Teflon washer and seal the area with corona dope or maybe even Q Dope, both of which are still available.

If you have some Teflon tubing of sufficient size slide it over the wire to the fixed caps and over the switch lug.

Other than that it is a remarkably well built and reliable amp. Its also about time to replace the electrolytics as they are about 25+ years old. Ameritron has a good price on their 270uF.

If you want less fan noise and good airflow use an EBM Papst 4600X. Gopher Electronics has the best price last time I looked a month ago as I use that fan in Dentrons and other noisy amps.
http://www.gopherelectronics.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3456&idcategory=0

Carl
KM1H

----- Original Message ----- From: "Edwin Karl" <edk0kl@centurytel.net>