Re: Topband: Steady Carrier on 80 CW

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Steady Carrier on 80 CW
From: Rick Stealey <rstealey@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 14:53:59 +0000

> I'm mapping the data, but nothing to hang my hat on at this time.  The data
> from Steve (KK7UV) does not intersect any of the other reports (odd).  A
> heading from W8JI or AA1K would be very helpful.
>
> Don (wd8dsb)

If you guys will remember from a year ago, Don is the man who pinpoints these
sources, if given a few more, reliable, data points.  What is needed are
reports from directional loops.  2-3 feet in diameter are fine for getting a
sharp null, of a few degrees.  This is much, much better data than from
Beverages, etc.
I built a loop with $5 worth of pvc pipe, and a bcb variable capacitor, and it
took about an hour to glue together.
I'm only hearing it S3 here in NJ at 10 am with a dipole, so doubt that my loop
is going to hear it in daytime.

Don - if it's in the direction you indicated (128 degrees) that puts in at the
southern tip of WV or center of NC.  Doubtful that any weak source is going to
be audible to me this time of day from there.  I'll do my best to get a bearing
on it tonight if it gets louder.

Rick  K2xt

Topband Reflector