Re: Topband: Steady Carrier on 80 CW

To: Ray Benny <rayn6vr@cableone.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Steady Carrier on 80 CW
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 04:02:16 -0500
To follow up on Toms comments about high angle, I have noticed that at my
home QTH where I have have 3 pennants (one pointing 40 deg, one pointing
160 degrees, and one pointing 300 deg), that normally the signal is much
stronger on the pennant pointing 160 degrees (like 15 db stronger than the
300 degree pennant), but then at times the signal is briefly the same
between the 160 and 300 degree pennant (and even the 40 degree pennant)
which normally indicates signal arriving from very very very high angle
(very confounding data).  I will now shut up and see what the guys closer
in determine (especially during  middle of day readings).

On Sun, Nov 3, 2013 at 3:33 AM, Ray Benny <rayn6vr@cableone.net> wrote:

> I have a Hi-Z RX 4sq system with 0 degrees at due north. At 0205Z today
> (2Nov) the signal was about S7 NE and S6 SE. With QSB the SE signal would
> almost equal the NE direction, but never louder. I have been listening on
> and off since then, its now 0820Z, signals are weaker but the NE directions
> is slightly louder.
>
> I do not know how to interpret the signal direction, but my guess would be
> slightly north of east from here???
>
> My QTH is 15 miles north of Prescott, AZ, 34 44.390 N by 112 29.049 W.
>
> Ray,
> N6VR
> Chino Valley, AZ
>

> On Sun, Nov 3, 2013 at 12:46 AM, Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com> wrote:
>
> > This is looking like somewhere near the Florida/Georgia border,
> >> Jacksonville, Fl to Brunswick, Ga area.
> >>

> > The wave angle here at 0700Z is pretty high, so that makes it either a
> > high angle radiator with multiple hops or fairly close (but far beyond
> > groundwave). This makes it difficult to be exact on heading, but a
> reading
> > just now still runs in a line from my house crossing somewhat north of
> > Brunswick, GA to maybe as high as Blackbeard Island. (My mapping ability
> is
> > limited, so I am just eyeballing this.) I'm reading about 2 degrees more
> > north of what I was earlier, now centered on about 128 degrees, again
> with
> > tolerance of several degrees because of wave angle and constant changing
> of
> > the path. This is difficult to read accurately because heading moves
> around.
> >
> > I will see how it is around noon. I'm pretty sure it will be readable in
> > daylight.
> >
> > One possibility is a Ham who works CW and has accidentally left his rig
> > locked on. The abrupt disappearance around sunset was interesting.
> Someone
> > flip a switch off for a while? I'm suspecting this is a Ham mistake.
> > Topband Reflector

> Topband Reflector

Topband Reflector