Re: Topband: Nye Viking MB-V-A

To: <herbs@vitelcom.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Nye Viking MB-V-A
From: "Charlie Cunningham" <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 14:58:27 -0500
A man after my own heart!! :-)

Charlie, K4OTV

-----Original Message-----
From: Topband [mailto:topband-bounces@contesting.com] On Behalf Of Herb
Schoenbohm
Sent: Sunday, November 03, 2013 2:31 PM
To: topband@contesting.com

I had a similar problem with the flat loading capacitors plates burning
a hole and failing on my Drake MN-2000 ATU and found some very nice low
profile 200pf 10KV mica transmitting capacitors from Bulgaria on eBay
for $6.00 each. There seems to be a good supply from the vendor as they
are currently listed as:

<javascript:;>

  *

    <Javascript:;>
  *

    <Javascript:;>

<http://cgi5.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SellLikeItem&_trksid=p2047675.l2567&r
t=nc&item=271275539786>

  2 200 pF 10kV LOT OF 2 HIGH VOLTAGE CERAMIC DOORKNOB CAPACITORS KVI-3
  (???-3)

Shipping took only a week and the items fit inside the tuner easily. I
used some tinned solder wick to make the connections to the switch as I
did not have any tinned braid available.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ.

On 11/3/2013 2:16 PM, Charlie Young wrote:

> I have an MB-V and an MB-IV.
>
> The MB-IV experienced a fixed capacitor failure.  There is a stacked
capacitor bank that was fabricated by Nye
> using insulating sheet separated by metal plates.  One of the insulator
sheets broke down.

> I repaired it myself by unbolting the stack, cleaning up the affected
capacitor plates, and replacing the insulator with a piece of teflon sheet
that one of my friends happened to have.

> So far so good on the repair, but I don't need to use the tuners much
these days.

> 73 Charlie N8RR
>

>> Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 13:33:10 -0400
>> From: herbs@vitelcom.net
>> To: topband@contesting.com
>> Subject: Re: Topband: Nye Viking MB-V-A
>>
>> What is the model number....there is not to much that can go wrong with
>> them.  You might check at the switches and coil for any bad contacts
>> which normally if not burned can be repaired with a pencil eraser or
>> some very light emery cloth.
>>

>> Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ
>>

>> On 11/3/2013 11:07 AM, michael kincaid wrote:
>>> Got my Inverted L fixed now the tuner has a problem. Anyone around I
that
>>> works on these tuners?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Mike