Re: Topband: Replacing F Connectors with BNCs

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Replacing F Connectors with BNCs
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 18:41:24 -0600
Same here. I second Guy's observation.

And I regularly run the legal limit through my F connectors, and
occasionally the legal limit with high SWR! Yet, they don't even feel warm
to the touch afterwards.

I always make certain that the copper is nice and bright. And on either
outdoor F connectors --or indoor ones used after the amplifier-- I fill
them with silicone dielectric compound. In addition to its water-repellent
and antioxidant properties, perhaps it also could conduct heat away from
the center connection. I've stopped worrying about one failing from too
much power.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com

On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 12:47 PM, Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>wrote:

> I just haven't found anything better than the F connector for terminating
> "RG6" type coax ... Every cable end and device outdoors and in between is
> entirely F. ...  Using the naked bare center conductor of "RG6" still seems
> the most reliable method.

Topband Reflector