Re: Topband: Verifying integrity of 75 ohm coax.

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Verifying integrity of 75 ohm coax.
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 21:15:06 -0500
Tom & all those that replied,

Thanks for the replies. I do have a 259B I bought off of fleabay
several years ago & no manual came with it. I only wanted it for SWR
readings to adjust my vertical wires since opening the box.

I just downloaded the manual on PDF and read the "advanced" section
dealing with distance to fault. Sorry to say I must not be as sharp
as I used to be and I can't tell from what I've read if the RG6U
needs a termination for this distance to fault test or if the coax is
unterminated. Since it's the weekend I can't call MFJ but perhaps
someone knows this answer & can let me know so I can have at it
tomorrow.

Apparently I'll need to find the velocity factor of this particular
RG6U and then can do the math they describe. I just need to know if I
test this on an open coax or with a 75 ohm carbon resistor at the
distal end of this 75 ohm coax (or 50 ohm on RG-8). And, does it
matter if I use either of the  SO239 or the BNC ?

Thanks for the pointers.

73

Gary
KA1J

> >I need to isolate if a problem I am having is in a faulty 75 ohm
> coax
> > (Remee RG6U flooded variety) where either a critter bit into the
> coax
> > or a Snap-&-Seal 6QS connector failed, or an electronics issue is
> the
> > culprit.
> >
> > What's my most expeditious way to prove if it is or is not the
> Coax?
>
> MFJ analyzers, such as the MFJ-259B, have a distance-to-fault
> function. I
> use it on my system, and can find a problem within a few feet on a
> 2000-3000
> foot cable.
>
> Of course a creative person could do the same thing with a simple RF
> generator, a T connector, and some way of measuring signal level at
> one port
> of the T.
>
> 73 Tom

---