Re: Topband: Verifying integrity of 75 ohm coax.

To: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Verifying integrity of 75 ohm coax.
From: Bill Wichers <billw@waveform.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 16:06:50 +0000
As long as the grease isn't too thick it is fine even on low-pressure contacts.
I've seen it used in RJ45 connectors for wireless LAN devices that are used
outdoors to help prevent corrosion of the data contacts. On a relatively beefy
connector like F, PL259, N, etc., the normal wiping action of the contacts
during mating will ensure good electrical contact regardless of the presence of
the grease.

  -Bill

> High pressure contacts, I feel fine getting slathering dielectric grease all
> over
> them before making the connection. Examples are like a Battery terminal in a
> car, or a spade lug under a screw, or the barrel on an F connector. Something
> you actually apply some amount of force to tighten (even just "tight finger
> force"). This forces the grease out of the actual metal to metal contact, and
> at the same time ensures the metal contacts are enclosed in the grease.
>
> But for low pressure contacts, e.g. molex pins, or the center pin on an F
> connector jack, I think it's best to keep the dielectric grease off the low
> pressure contacts. Having it in and around a connector boot or shroud that
> goes around a low pressure contact is fine. A good thing in harsh weather or
> chemical environment to help keep weather and fumes out. Rubber
> connector boots last a lot longer with silicone grease on them.
Topband Reflector