Re: Topband: Verifying integrity of 75 ohm coax.

To: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>, Jim Garland <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Subject: Re: Topband: Verifying integrity of 75 ohm coax.
From: Bill Wichers <billw@waveform.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 16:41:03 +0000
That sounds like no-ox on DC plant connections. You'll find after years and
years that the copper will still be shiny and new looking in the
grease-protected areas. The idea is to keep out oxygen so that the connection
doesn't corrode since the corrosion is what increases the resistance. Putting
DC plant connections together this way is still the standard today, and
probably always will be.

I have seen the no-ox used on copper-to-aluminum connections which is *bad*.
The aluminum tends to rot out, something about the corrosion inhibitor that is
great for copper is terrible for aluminum.

 -Bill