Re: Topband: 160M Contest

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160M Contest
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 17:11:29 -0800
On 12/6/2013 1:50 PM, Milt -- N5IA wrote:
It is 2 hours before sunset our here in the desert southwest, but I can hear real well to the east.

That's quite common -- in the first hours we hear them, but they don't hear us for two reasons. First, they're using NE RX antennas to work EU. Second, their band noise is likely 10 dB or so greater than ours, because the band is open to the east.

I'm going to run QRP hoping to complete QRP WAS (I need 6 eastern states), except that I'll go QRO on the outside chance that a new country shows up.

73, Jim K9YC