Re: Topband: Antennas down at VE3CV - Ice Storm!

To: Jeff Wilson <jjw5257@yahoo.ca>
Subject: Re: Topband: Antennas down at VE3CV - Ice Storm!
From: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2013 12:15:04 -0500
On 2013-12-25, at 9:40 AM, Jeff Wilson wrote:

> Well the ice storm did a job here.

Hi Guys,

Well, the truth be known, I haven't uttered so much as a single peep on Topband
at all this season: the dual knee replacements of last July here have left me
in constant pain in both legs, & while the spirit may well have been willing,
the flesh was not---certainly not at the prospect of unrolling 72 ground
radials beneath the seasonal 3-element phased inverted "L" array....

No matter: the power outage here started late Saturday night, & didn't ease-up
until 9:50 PM on Monday. In the interim, ice-laden trees & branches took down
the end supporting tree of my northern "L", as well as the end supporting tree
of my eastern "L". The coup de grace was a massive bunch of tree branches that
came crashing down upon my two K9AY loops in the back yard.

We lost a LOT of nature's antenna supports with the 1" coating of ice that we
received here---and the temperatures have been so cold as to keep the ice
exactly where it has been since the past weekend. One good spell of high winds,
& I can see even MORE fallen trees & outages of hydro electric power.

Ain't wintertime just a grand & glorious thing...?! (NOT!). Oh well, from what
I've been hearing, 160-meters hasn't been any great shakes this season,
anyway...small consolation maybe, I know, but I'll take any & every bit that I
can take!

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ