Re: Topband: Digial mode spurious issues

To: "'Tom W8JI'" <w8ji@w8ji.com>, <topband@contesting.com>, <kr7o@vhfdx.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Digial mode spurious issues
From: "Charlie Cunningham" <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 11:52:15 -0500
Yes, it really is just baseband audio into an SSB transmitter. And some of
the new rigs that run that process audio through A/D converters to digitize
if for DSP are just asking for trouble.

I guess I'm an "old fart", but I suspect that a 12AX7 triode audio preamp,
with its 3/2 power-law transfer characteristic and perhaps 150 volts on its
plates will withstand a bit of overdrive with a lot less harmonic distortion
than an A/D converter operating from 3- 5 volts and driven beyond its range
into saturation where it produces hard, "brick-wall" limiting! Not all
things are best done digitally! I suspect that some of these "digital" modes
are improperly adjusted, resulting in excessive audio drive into the SSB
transmitters. AND if the transmitter is using IF DSP and/or I/Q modulation
for sideband selection, there are more opportunities for spurious outputs.
FWIW

Good to turn down the drive in the audio inputs of  the SSB transmitters!

73,
Charlie, K4OTV