Re: Topband: FT5ZM from South Dakota

To: Ed Gray W0SD <w0sd@triotel.net>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: FT5ZM from South Dakota
From: "Jim F." <j_fitton@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 10:05:40 -0800 (PST)
Ed,  W0SD
Congratulations on the FT5ZM contacts !

And thank you for the SD contact on 160m and the LOTW confirmation !

Now only need AK, LA, NV, and ND for QRP WAS on TB.

73, 72,

Jim / W1FMR  (NH)

On Tuesday, February 4, 2014 11:49 AM, Ed Gray W0SD <w0sd@triotel.net> wrote:

All I can say is to not give up.  I have heard "ZERO" from FT5ZM on 160
meters up until tonight and have been there every morning and night
since they got there.  Tonight I heard them for 28 minutes and for about
14 minutes about S-5-6 with a K3.  I would say a couple of S-units above
the noise. That reading was with the pre-amp off on the K3.  They have
been good on 80 meters which made it so frustrating I can not hear
anything on 160M.

Tonight I could hear them best on my 190 foot high drooping dipole, next
on my NE beverage and last on the vertical but of course the vertical
had more QRN.  I worked them using the vertical and listening on the NE
beverage because at that time I had not figured out I could hear him the
best on the high dipole.

Obviously I was very excited and started calling as soon as I could copy
calls.  Anyway I won't go into the details of working him but just
wanted to encourage people to hang in there. He has been coming in from
the north according to others and tonight my NE beverage was the best
beverage of the 4 I have so they were coming from the north.  The
difference for me appears to be the polar absorption on the path from here.

Ed W0SD