Re: Topband: Contest in progress - few signals

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Contest in progress - few signals
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 09:39:43 -0500
W3UR wrote:

> Remember US and VE stations work DX for three points and any other stations
> from VE or the United States count as ZERO in the contest.

Not only that but most logging programs won't even allow you to log
W/VE in ARRL DX so you will not be in my log even if I answer.  I know
the local guys who call think they are doing you a favor but they are
not.  Especially annoying are those who call while you're running DX
and cover up the weaker DX.  Also I hate struggling for minutes with a
whisper weak signal only to discover it's actually a US station off
the back or side of my EU Beverage.

The ARRL DX has become one of my favorite contests because the band
isn't jammed with US stations calling CQ and covering DX.
Unfortunately conditions were so poor Friday night that I gave up
before 0300z with only a little over 30 QSOs in the log.  This was
probably some of the WORST conditions I've ever seen.  As I write this
Sunday morning, I see W1UE (multi-multi at W1KM) only has 117 QSOs on
160 for the entire weekend.  That's BORING and it's not even in
Oregon.  :-)

Please do us all a favor and READ THE RULES next time!

73,  Bill  W4ZV