Topband: Shunt feeding the Skyneedle - new developments

To: '160' <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Shunt feeding the Skyneedle - new developments
From: Carl Braun <Carl.Braun@lairdtech.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 00:32:11 +0000
All

Topband list

If you've followed my efforts to shunt feed my Skyneedle tower you'll know that
I settled with a tap point of 67' and 30" or so of spacing with my feed point
reading 42 + j0 ohms.  This reading was taken at the interior of my 20 x 30 x
8" steel Hoffman enclosure with the variable cap located outside the enclosure
sitting on a plastic 5 gal jug.  The output of the variable cap fed into a
ceramic feed thru insulator thru the panel to a copper "L" bracket that mounts
the SO 239 connector that I hooked my coax cable to.

Since then I've moved the variable capacitor inside the panel and mounted it to
a ¾" think Plexiglas sheet mounted to the back plane with nylon bolts and
washers.  There is a 1" air gap between the Plexiglas and the backplane.  I now
have seen the 42+j0 ohms change to 45 - j11 ohms...that's the lowest reactance
I can tune the capacitor for. Not really sure if its +j11 ohms or - j11 ohms
but I assume if the reading was + j11 I could continue to tune it out with the
capacitor but I cant.

Does the capacitor not play well with a steel enclosure?

The other strange situation I'm experiencing is when I connect my Array
Solutions static bleed choke to the feed thru insulator at the outside of the
panel to ground the resonant frequency jumps to 2.014 MHz at 25 +j0
ohms...remove it entirely and I'm back to my 45 - j11 ohms.

I use 1 meg ohm from the feed point to ground on my other verticals with NO
change in MFJ analyzer readings.

Any comments from the list on these problems?

Thanks

Carl AG6X