Re: Topband: Shunt feeding the Skyneedle - new developments

To: "Carl Braun" <Carl.Braun@lairdtech.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Shunt feeding the Skyneedle - new developments
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 03:16:31 -0500
The j11 ohms is the best I can get period. I was able to get j0 when the cap was outside of the steel enclosure with a better bandwidth. Maybe I should throw my $400 enclosure and find a fibergla$$ enclosure. But as others have indicated I should probably just live with it.>>>

1.) How do you know the system really has some reactance?

2.) What is the SWR, that is more accurate.

3.) The SWR is meaningless anyway for control settings when it is below maybe 1.3, and is typically meaningless for system losses when below 4.0:1 for short cables on 160 meters. A 40 j10 load (if it is that) is around 1.3:1, so it falls in the meaningless category

Do you think a smaller (physically) vacuum cap would have less interaction with the steel enclosure. The one I have is only 3" round and 6" long. The air variable I'm using is 13" long and 7" round at mesh>>>>

RF behavior with chassis and cabinets and wiring can be complicated. Some people who work around it all their life never actually get a feel for how simple systems work, let alone things that might get colex like high impedance lines and physically large components inside close spaced boxes.

The interaction depends on the circuit impedance and the impedance of any components and wiring at various points in the system inside the box. You'll probably never get a meaningful answer because the problem is small, an answer requires knowing the actual impedances of everything, and at a minimum a feel for how the box and wiring *you* have interacts with the impedances.

The important thing at this point is how the equipment in the shack behaves with what you have, because any actual losses are meaningless.

73 Tom