Re: Topband: Control cable black conductors

To: "Dave G4GED" <radiodave.g4ged@tiscali.co.uk>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Control cable black conductors
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 07:38:09 -0500
All the other 4 conductors are bright clean copper when stripped.
Could anyone tell me why some insulated copper conductors turn black in this way and whether there's a better way of cleaning it off.

Water inside the insulation plus sulfur and/or irons that formed copper sulfide or covellite.

I've been successful using phosphoric acid. It is sold as a clear liquid wire or mag wheel cleaner around here. You'll know it by how red and painful it turns your hands.