Re: Topband: Control cable black conductors

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Control cable black conductors
From: Kenneth Grimm <grimm@sbc.edu>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 07:51:00 -0500
Is it phosphoric acid that gives Coca Cola its peculiar cleaning ability?
 I no longer can imbibe cola drinks due to a very annoying allergy, so I
can't check a label to see if it is listed.  I do know that Coke will clean
oil deposited on your windshield when commercial windshield washing liquids
just cause it to smear...so it has something in it that that may work quite
well, and without turning your hands red!

73,

Ken - K4XL

On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 7:38 AM, Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com> wrote:

> All the other 4 conductors are bright clean copper when stripped.
>> Could anyone tell me why some insulated copper conductors turn black in
>> this way and whether there's a better way of cleaning it off.
>>

> Water inside the insulation plus sulfur and/or irons that formed copper
> sulfide or covellite.
>
> I've been successful using phosphoric acid. It is sold as a clear liquid
> wire or mag wheel cleaner around here. You'll know it by how red and
> painful it turns your hands.

Ken - K4XL
BoatAnchor Manual Archive
BAMA - http://bama.edebris.com

"Show me a politician who is poor, and I'll show you a poor
politician." - Carlos
Hank González