Re: Topband: New MFJ 259C available

To: Paul Christensen <w9ac@arrl.net>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: New MFJ 259C available
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2014 11:00:31 -0800
I have made sweeps of my 160m T on many occasions as I tuned it, added elevated radials, and then installed a remote series capacitor switch to tune the entire band per a W8JI suggestion. There was no interference from AMBC, I'd be glad to forward the sweeps. My current QTH does not have a nearby BC transmitter however. At my former QTH in San Jose, CA I had elevated clear line of sight to a 50kw BC 1Mhz at 3 miles. The MFJ269 was useless (sold) and my AIM4170 (pre VNWA, still use it now and then) worked but showed obvious glitches in the sweeps of both 40m and 80m elevated verticals on metal roofs. I had 1v of the BC signal on my power lines.

I haven't needed RF measurement of resistance better than 1% in any antenna, choke, or filter testing. There is also a 3rd party VI test kit (and support in the software) for the VNWA that enables more accurate testing of very low and high Z, as the VNWA 50 ohm internal bridge is good for about a 20:1 ratio or so. I have a 6.5 digit 4 lead DMM but never thought I needed to measure a standard that accurately. The yahoo VNWA group gets into very detailed and esoteric (to me) discussions of the psec and fF issues in standards, cables, and connectors for GHz work. There is a raft of good info from basic tutorials to esoterica linked from the posts. Also, HP/Agilent have a large number of excellent VNA technical reports/tutorials also available on the web. Tom's (DG8SAQ) manual is comprehensive, he is continuously adding software enhancements, and is responsive to posts.

I've tuned/measured several 5B4AGN filter kits and other off the shelf single band units, some of them went back for re-tuning as they were out of spec. Measuring ferrite chokes is easy. I've probably tuned/checked a dozen different antennas. If you calibrate at the far end of the feedline, then the measurement is accurate at the antenna at its input terminals - cool and no climbing. I'm still a bit of a novice, am learning at lot and working up to retuning a 70cm multicavity filter as I have not yet used the time domain filter tuning technique.

Overall, the VNWA is my most frequently used test equipment, a VNA is the RF engineers VOM.

Grant KZ1W