Re: Topband: ARRL Board Requests Member Comments About Digital Modes

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: ARRL Board Requests Member Comments About Digital Modes
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 09:36:25 -0800
I think Henk's post makes very good sense.

As to the limited use of JT9 -- it is a VERY new mode, released only within the past 18 months. Yes, it is superior, and hopefully will be adopted. But that takes time for all to acquire the new software that produces and decodes it, as well as the learning of the software. But I also agree with W4TV, who notes that the difference between JT65 and JT9 matters little with respect to the bandplan and interoperability with other modes. What really matters is that the gear used produce clean signals and that the operators of all modes do so intelligently and with consideration of others.

I am FAR more concerned with high power amplifiers cranking out phase noise, splatter, and clicks than I am with the relatively low level of distortion produced by those using digital modes, the vast majority of which are running pretty low power.

73, Jim K9YC