Re: Topband: Legality of Circumventing Commercial Maritime ISP Services?

To: Herbert Schonbohm <herbert.schoenbohm@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Legality of Circumventing Commercial Maritime ISP Services??
From: Mike Armstrong <armstrmj@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 16:54:40 -0700
Herb, I don't disagree, especially with the Carib because I have so little
sailing experience in those waters.  I am a PAC Sailor, when I am able.  Even
in the Navy, I only did a single Med Cruise before switching to the Pacific for
all further sea duty assignments.  So I am most familiar with that side.  I
will say, honestly, that ALL of the Sailor I knew personally had licenses and
most were higher class licensees as well...... Not that the higher class really
means anything except that maybe they take the hobby as seriously as most of us
do.

However, like I said above, I don't dispute what you said..... There is no
doubt that all sorts of piracy are occurring "out there."  Additionally, I
agree some of those nets, like some of the 20 meter versions do, indeed, push
the rules if not outright violate them.

>From a personal point of view, though, I do take exception with
>governments.... ANY governments saying that a Sailor sending posit reports to
>someone who is tracking their progress cannot be done or is somehow "bad."  I
>know, I know.... territorial integrity and all that.... BUT (and this is a
>biggie) It is a safety afloat issue and, as we all know, when all else
>fails.... Amateur Radio!  I've been underway and had it happen that ham radio
>was IT!  It was the only thing working!  This is not a rare event, either.  It
>happens.  Especially in the Pacific, you are in a big, unmarked pool of water
>and having someone "flight following" is not only nice for me, the Sailor, to
>know..... but also my family or any other close person.  When safety is
>involved, especially when it can be life threatening (lack of posit and track
>info in a timely manner IS life threatening all by itself), I think ham radio
>is utterly appropriate as a vehicle for those comms.  Sailing to Fiji from San
>Dieg
 o isn't the same as taking your gps and going to the store..... as I am sure
you would know.... considering where you live, especially.... :) :)

Again, I am not arguing about whether some Sailors are "pirates."  I am sure
and certain there are... just like the cbers who "take over" 10 meters CW
portion whenever the band has a decent opening. Not only are they not
licensed.... they are using one of the widest bandwidth modes in our narrow
bandwidth segment(s).  But that is a law enforcement issue, not an issue that
should decide whether a LICENSED amateur radio operator should be able to
utilize our "shared" resources/bands to pursue his/her "bliss" as long as what
they are doing is legal (again, with the one caveat about safety of life, which
"should" trump everything from an international law point of view...... but
that is a subject that is way outside the realm of discussing whether the way
we determine signal bandwidths and their appropriateness in this more "modern"
digital day and age).

I think we may be straying from the issue...... after all, those mailboxes and
automated systems are already operating in the band segments they are permitted
(for good or ill.... I think mostly good.... but I readily admit, I am
prejudiced since I do use them when I am underway..... and sure as heck
appreciate that I can report my posits and tracks to any interested party....
AND, additionally, have that same radio tune up the band a hair and there are
10 gajillion people waiting to hear my Mayday, if it were to ever occur).  I,
like most of us in this reflector, use the radio for fun..... chasing DX,
shooting the breeze with old and new friends, occasional traffic handling and
other pursuits.  When I am underway, it takes on a new dimension..... and
whether I am a miser or not has nothing to do with it.  It is one of several
resources I have to get a "job" done, too..... one that I am allowed to do,
both by the license I possess and any applicable laws.  I guarantee you tha
 t the majority of us (at least the Sailors I know personally... and that is a
fair number of folks) use the radio legally, no matter where we are located.  I
pull the "fuses" on my radios when I am getting into the territorial limits of
a country we don't have a reciprocal agreement with.  Pulling the fuses on the
mains going to the radios ensure, of course, that even an accidental push of
the button won't turn something on "illegally."  I pull them in heavy weather,
too..... But that is to prevent shorts if a rogue wave nails me in a storm.
Again, all the Sailors, who are hams, that  i know do the same..... ESPECIALLY
with the ham gear.

Anyway, that is my story and I am stickin' to it.  :) :)  I suspect, by the
way, that you guys in the Carib get more than your fair share of the
"nonsense," though for a coup,e of reasons.... the biggest one being, I would
think, the Sailor population in that sea.  THAT is alot of sailing going on
there.  I would question, too, the need to use the amateur bands for much
because, quite frankly, landfall is never that far away.  Not that the radios
shouldn't be aboard, but that if someone is using it to "do money making
business," or even "volunteer business for a 501c," they are without an excuse
in my opinion.  There is a HUGE difference between doing 5 knots and how long
it will take til your next landfall in the Pacific and the same thing in the
Carib.  Not that you should skirt the law just because you are in the Pacific,
but anyone who understands the potential dangers of sailing that big ocean, can
readily understand that a family won't want to wait a month til they hear
  where you are..... lol lol.  Yes  there are commercial services..... true....
they ARE costly..... but that isn't the issue with me, personally.... it is
RELIABILITY.  I have only so much battery power and I need to get it done
without wasting any power.  Quite frankly, most of those "expensive" services
come nowhere close to the reliability of amateur radio..... ESPECIALLY in an
emergency.  THAT is how good our "amateur" system are..... they really are THAT
good.  I know..... when I have needed it, it has ALWAYS been there.  I cannot
even come close to saying the same of INMARSAT, to name one, or any other
"commercial/professional" service.  I kid you not!

Forgive me for this lengthy diatribe..... It is a great subject, but ai doubt
too many of us are wanting to read this much about it.....he he he.  I'll do
better on the next go.... if there is a next go :) :)

73s
Mike AB7ZU

Kuhi no ka lima, hele no ka maka