Re: Topband: Legality of Circumventing Commercial Maritime ISP Services?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Legality of Circumventing Commercial Maritime ISP Services??
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 10:26:02 -0400
Mike, That is correct about shutting down your radio in foreign ports where permission to operate has not be granted. In some countries they will cease the boat and thrown you in jail. Also you may wish to address the proliferation of bogus call signs on sailboats such as this case EL0 and the ham bands are full of ZB2, ZD9, VS6, ZC4 VP2E calls signs used on U.S. flag vessels. Unless international maritime law has change recently, such usage is clearly in violation of International Law. Doesn't the law on the vessel follow the flag? Most amateur should know this rather than being enablers for the MM scofflaws.

Regards,

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ