Re: Topband: Deployable radials for 80/160M

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Deployable radials for 80/160M
From: Dave Heil <k8mn@frontiernet.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 12:17:12 +0000
That seems a little too much work when Lowe's sells 500 foot spools of insulated #14 for $45.

73,

Dave K8MN

On 6/24/2014 19 46, Herb Schoenbohm wrote:
I found a great source for radial wire at home Depot where they have
100' rolls of 14-2 packaged for under $40.  Two conductors are insulated
and one of course is not after the easy job of striping them across a
bench jig or simple having a second person hold a pocket knife while you
pull the conductors apart you end up with 300 feet of higher quality
ground radial material. 2 each  100 foot insulated radials due to the VF
are very close to 1/4 wave consideration and the the shorter 100 foot
bare doesn't hurt either.  This of course brings up the issue of mixing
bare and insulated wire in any ground system so I use the bare conductor
for other 80 and 40 verticals.  Yet the sum of the three wires is
cheaper than buying them individually it seems.