Re: Topband: Beverage feedline

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage feedline
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 18:52:32 -0700
Timo,

According to ARRL's TLW program, your RF insertion loss for 1500ft of RG-6 cable should be around 7dB. This is based on Belden 8215 which uses a solid dielectric which makes it more lossy than your 1189A which is a foamed dielectric, but less lossy than 1189A because it uses a copper shield whereas 1189A uses an aluminum shield. These two opposing factors seems to balance out as TLW predicts about 10% greater loss for 8215 than does the loss vs frequency table on the 1189A data sheet, so if anything 1500ft of 1189A at 1.8 MHz might be a bit better than the same length of 8215.

If you want to run DC thru this cable to power a switch or pre-amp, the loop resistance (inner conductor + shield) for 1500ft will be around 49 ohms. For a 100mA load that will be ~5 volts of drop between the source and load.

FWIW, 1189A doesn't appear to be rated for outdoor use whereas 8215 is rated for direct burial. OTOH, 8215 uses an all copper shield so its probably very expensive compared to the aluminum shield cable (like 1189A) used by the CATV industry.

I buy 1000' rolls of Commscope F660BEF Gel Coated Direct Bury RG6 from these guys for $48 US per roll (I think this is the same stuff recommended by W8JI):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CommScope-F660BEF-Direct-Burial-RG6-Cable-Flooded-Coaxial-Undeground-Gel-Coated-/160693197034?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item256a0f98ea#shpCntId

It looks like they ship to Finland if the overseas shipping doesn't raise the price too much (UPS shipping is $25 just to go a few miles from Phat's warehouse to my door here in Los Angeles). Perhaps there is a cableTV/satellite distributor closer to Finland with better terms.

73, Mike W4EF.............