Re: Topband: Modeling the proverbial "vertical on a beach"

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Modeling the proverbial "vertical on a beach"
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 11:31:24 -0400
As I recall, ZF1EJ's station uses a log periodic, a tribander and possibly
other antennas and he is on the southern side of the island.  Log periodic
antennas typically do not have much gain if they were using that.  While
there is no proof that I am aware of, stations new the sea facing their
target zone, like D4B/D4C, CU2X, VY2ZM etc do exceptionally well.

Verticals on the beach are great for expeditions.  In March 2000, I set up
two 40m verticals on the northern beach of Grand Cayman (one was a parasitic
element) and also a low 40m dipole and the verticals were 10dB louder than
the dipole.  I am sure that a high beam would be better, however this
suitcase station was good enough to win a contest plaque.

John KK9A - P40A