Re: Topband: Top band Conditions

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Top band Conditions
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 23:27:14 -0400
I always have a tough time with Topband but this year has been pretty
dry so far. I haven't been able to hear the VK9 or any "rare" DX from
this location. Hoping that will change. The street light in front of
the house makes a lot of QRM and so far the power company hasn't seen
fit to replace it. That'll probably help some but still, I'm not
hearing what I did on TB a couple years ago or even last year.
Haven't worked a new one on 160 in about a year now.

Yeah, it's slow.

73,

Gary KA1J

> Is this a slow year or is it just me..  have been listening on and off
> for a month at sunrise and its very few and far between signals,
> Caught VK9, E51, C21 etc,  no new ones but at least some activity.
>
> Have seen some interesting conditions a couple times,  there are
> some "beacons" down at 1800 and at least twice now I have seen
> these pop out of the noise and good copy,  but only for at most
> 5 mins time.
> This morning they popped up again about 1520Z and were from
> 1797 up the band to maybe 1810,  heard at least 15 of them.  I
> think in years gone by someone stated they were Russian beacons
> but my memory does not remember the location.
> In any case its interesting to see them come out of nowhere for a
> few mins and fade away into nothing again,  coorelates with the
> band being "open" an hour before sunrise ..
>
> For the Stew its worth taking a good look around,  may be a path
> open for a few mins to some good mults.
> At the same time there were a few JA signals on but they were
> very weak compared to normal.
>
> I have been hanging out down on 475KHZ for a few weeks,  just
> receiving so far, working on an amplifier and tuner for the antenna,
> and will be transmitting soon I hope,  so far have copied east to
> PA,  daily into TX, KL7, of course west coast,  quite amazing what
> a couple watts does at that freq.
> 73 Merv K9FD/KH6     WH2XCR

---
is active.