Re: Topband: Restistance of wire

To: Martin <dm4im@t-online.de>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Restistance of wire
From: Bill Wichers <billw@waveform.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2014 15:35:13 +0000
With some quick calculations and a check of a chart of wire gauge and
resistance, that 25 ohms for 400m is about 19 ohms/kft which works out to
something between 22 and 23 gauge copper wire. I don't have exact specs for
WD1A handy, but I think it's probably close to something in the 22-24 gauge
range since it's a mix of copper and steel strands but is physically close to
about a 22-20 gauge wire.

The resistance you're seeing seems about right to me. Note that many
multimeters aren't very accurate in the low-ohms range (you really need a
4-wire ohmmeter for that), so you're resistance will vary a bit from what any
charts of wire resistances tell you.

  -Bill