Re: Topband: Restistance of wire

To: <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>, "Martin" <dm4im@t-online.de>
Subject: Re: Topband: Restistance of wire
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2014 14:36:30 -0500
>  I square R loss is low as signal current is very low.

Thinking I^2 R with low current (because of being in a small signal application) might mislead us. The absolute value of current would just tell us conductor heat, if we actually knew RF resistance (which is always higher than dc resistance) and current.

RF losses are best measured, because loss involves:

1.)  RF conductor resistance
2.) dielectric losses
3.) system impedances

We can use a high resistance wire if it is in a high impedance system, like a 600 ohm single wire Beverage.

We might have problems if it is in a low impedance system, like a transmission line, depending on impedances along the transmission line.

73 Tom