Re: Topband: Ground rods

To: "Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Ground rods
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 20:57:31 -0500
I don't know why anyone would think they do not matter. Ground rods matter here, even on receive. They actually don't do much for lightning, though better than no lightning ground. The radials are much better than any ground rod. :)

How much they matter, of course, depends greatly on the antenna, the soil, and the rod.

I see a *measured* difference on Beverages, and sometimes it can be significant, between one rod and two.

I use at least four to six 70 ft radials on my RX verticals.

I don't use salt around my grounds or antennas because of corrosion.

73 Tom