Re: Topband: Speculating via Stew posted scores

To: James Rodenkirch <rodenkirch_llc@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Speculating via Stew posted scores
From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 07:27:36 -0500
There are many different factors at play way beyond the antenna system.
First and foremost, K5GO is QRP so he gets an automatic 3x multiplier for
all his QSO's. I don't know N9FT's category.

Beyond power category, a station in a densely populated area will get an
awful lot of 1-pointers and 2-pointers, even working local stations that
can't load their bedsprings on 160M. A station that is in a remote area but
within easy low-power reach of one or even better two population centers
can get fewer QSO's but most of them are 3-, 4-, and 5- pointers (and he
may get a 1.5 multiplier on every Q if he was low power himself or a 3x
multiplier if he was QRP.)

Even in contests without distance multipliers and with section+DXCC
multipliers, there is an advantage to being in low-power reach of multiple
domestic population centers. For example US midwest rules the ARRL DX low
power category.

Tim N3QE