Re: Topband: No 160m contest for me this year

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: No 160m contest for me this year
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 12:02:09 -0500
Jim,

Oh that is terrible. I'm really sorry to hear about that and I'm
always afraid something like that's going to happen to me as my
antennas are right at the edge of a marsh and Woods. I only use wire
antennas strung up through the trees and several of the wires usually
get chewed in half every year.

There is a company called leg up Enterprises which sells predator
urine and they have little vials that you fill every so often and
place around areas you want to keep rodents and chewing animals away
from. My girlfriend uses that to keep the squirrels out of her
flowers on the porch. Since I've been using it around my antennas
where they join the radial plate, I have had no further animal
damage.

http://www.legupenterprises.com/

Maybe you can get a sloper or some kind of temporary antenna up for
the weekend.

73,

Gary
KA1J

> Rodents chewed through a set of kevlar guy lines for my Spiderbeam 26m
> vertical while I was out of town last week. Down came the vertical, which
> broke into three pieces, and when the guy lines fell to the ground, the
> rodents ruined them all. Looks like I'm off 160m for the winter. It will be
> a big job to reinstall everything. Hope I can get replacement sections for
> the broken Spiderbeam pole.
>
> Jim W8ZR

---