Re: Topband: Elimination of Treadmill RFI on 160 meters

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Elimination of Treadmill RFI on 160 meters
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 19:51:05 -0800
On Tue,1/27/2015 4:08 PM, Tom W8JI wrote:
The flaw in this system is that differential voltages between current carrying wires are not measured, and anything on the safety ground isn't measured. Noise voltage is only measured from individual current carrying conductors to ground, and the safety ground is grounded and not measured.

Exactly right, Tom. A common design/manufacturing defect is that the green wire fails to make contact with the shielding enclosure, but instead goes to common on a circuit board, which may or may not ever find the chassis. This defect, which is the power system equivalent of a Pin One Problem, puts noise on the green wire. You may remember that we corresponded several years ago about Astron power supplies, in which a very common defect is that the green wire is soldered to the mounting lug of a terminal strip, which is insulated from the chassis by paint. The same mounting lug is the point where V- is bonded, so it never finds the chassis either. AND, wiring for both V- and the green wire act as antennas for both TX and RX.

I have long suspected that similar defects are at least partially responsible for noise conducted onto coax and AC lines from consumer products of all sorts.

73, Jim K9YC