Re: Topband: Elimination of Treadmill RFI on 160 meters

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Elimination of Treadmill RFI on 160 meters
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 23:10:55 -0800
On Thu,1/29/2015 1:23 PM, Tom W8JI wrote:
People just love adding series impedances, that what we do as hams. :)

Bypassing is usually much more effective than simply adding series impedances. Sometimes bypassing alone is more than enough. 90% of the time when I clean up an offshore SMPS for Ham use, it is just moving ground leads and bypassing. :)

This snide remark ignores the fact that it is generally not practical (nor is it good politics) to go inside your neighbor's equipment to add bypass capacitors. Nor is it practical to open up a wall wart, nor even most consumer equipment. It also ignores the fact that much of RFI at HF is common mode, not differential mode, caused by bonding failures (the Pin One Problem and its power systems equivalent). And it ignores the fact that it is often the cable shield or the power system equipment ground that is carrying the RF noise current, for reasons noted in my earlier post.

The use of common mode chokes that have a high value of resistive impedance at the desired operating frequency is an effective fix for common mode RFI the results from poor equipment design. Your only problem is that you didn't think of it first.

Think about it -- a single ferrite core applied to wiring from a noise source has a low Q parallel resonance in the range of 150 MHz, causing to appear as a resistance in the range of several hundred ohms. (Look at the impedance curves on the data sheet for any Fair-Rite suppression part. If you don't recognize that as a parallel resonant circuit, you failed electrical circuits 101.) The impedance of that single core is enough to get the equipment past Part 15 in the VHF range, so they stop there. The resonance is in the wrong place for HF, so we wind turns to move it down where we need it, and in the process, multiply both R and L by the square of the turns, and C by the number of turns. Again, all of this is fundamental circuit concepts.

Do all systems NEED 5-10K ohms resistive Z? Of course not, BUT most systems are used over a wide range of frequencies and have a wide range common mode impedances -- anything from high to low, capacitive to inductive to resistive. A simple inductor resonates with a capacitive common mode circuit, which increases the common mode current, making the problem worse. But resistance ALWAYS reduces the current -- by how much depends on the impedance of the circuit.

I have always recommended high values of common mode Z because it never makes the problem worse, because it doesn't require the person with the problem to be a trained engineer, because it's relatively simple and inexpensive, and because we don't have to go "inside the box." The only potential problem is if the conductor being choked has enough common mode current to fry the choke -- for example, a high power antenna system.

If you happen to BE the product engineer, certainly you should be solving the problem inside the box before the product goes out the door.

73, Jim K9YC