Re: Topband: Out-of-Turn Callers

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Out-of-Turn Callers
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2015 17:06:02 -0500
One of the best things to happen to me is my K3 and my logging
program, the pair are among the worst as well. The K3 remembers the
settings I was at when I switch bands, I count on this, my logging
program is the Loki in this.

If I click on a spot I see in my logging program & look at the
spectrum and leave, it's most expeditious to re-click on the spot for
the DX I'd originally been at. Problem is the split feature does not
follow this unless I use the K3 to go back to that first QSO. If I do
it the quick way, I have to remember to set split on the K3,
otherwise I'm calling on the DX Tx frequency.

I don't know how many times I've done this, far too many to
neutralize by an apology. I really do make it a point to watch the
split settings when I use my other software with the K3 but sometimes
I slip and that isn't right. I appreciate it when someone calls me on
it and brings it to my attention with a KA1J UP. What I can't
understand are the others who don't listen to the obvious & persist
on calling on frequency when there's many Cops jawing away, alerting
the offender.

During the EP6T I was listening to the number of people ignoring the
DX instructions. He's call EU and every stateside call area was
calling him as were SA/AF, you name it, he calls USA and EU is
clamoring his Rx frequencies with their calls; it's a global
stupidity. One person I was talking with suggested it has to do with
people using skimmers and CW reading software & can't follow the code
well enough to hear what is going on. That may be a possibility, I
just think it's people being a bully and hoping to force the DX to
pick them instead.

The biggest gripe I have with what people do to try and steal a Q is
when the DX operator hears someone, maybe me and asks for KA? and
every other prefix in the alphabet gets right on frequency trying to
steal that KA? Q. I've emailed a few of these people, even called one
on the phone I was so angry. The DX might not have been going back to
me but they weren't going back to a different prefix.

I did though get K1N on 160 last night, no problem thankfully. Had
them on CW from KP2A/KP1 back in 82, nice to have the 160 Q.

73,
Gary
KA1J

---