Re: Topband: K1N DQRM Tracking Project

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: K1N DQRM Tracking Project
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2015 18:18:48 -0500
I don't remember the article, Charlie, but that's a fabulous idea, and at
first blush it doesn't sound all that hard to implement. One way might be to
set up three receivers at different locations, each with a 10 MHz GPS or
rubidium time base (both inexpensive and readily available.). For each
receiver, a simple frequency divider could produce a pulse every 100
milliseconds from the time base. The pulse would trigger a frequency
counter, which would then count the elapsed time from the ttrigger pulse
until the DQRM signal started transmitting (or stopped transmitting -
doesn't matter which).  Once the differences in elapsed times were known
between the three receivers, the DQRM signal could be accurately
triangulated. Sounds ike a fun project. Sure wish we'd had something like
that for the Navassa DQRM jerks.

I'd be interested in some project like that, but I'm afraid it would only get to a general area. With maybe 3-10 idiots at any one time, and the 3-10 active at any time probably varying every hour, it might be pretty tough to do anything meaningful.

Since attention is what they want, I wonder if this effort would not encourage participation in jamming at a faster rate than it solves anything?

Has anyone ever looked to see if there is any correlation between intentional QRM and the DX station spreading people over a wide swath of the band? More than once, I've heard people intentionally threaten to QRM DX because they were POed that their QSO was interrupted by a pileup.

73 Tom