Re: Topband: BoGs, BaGs and BuGs

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: BoGs, BaGs and BuGs
From: Larry via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 09:41:45 +0000
Sent this before, and not sure it made it, or perhaps it was not worth responding to-

I have been contemplating listening antennas, and after hearing a friend work station after station that I could hear only down in the noise on my inverted Vee, while he was using a 500' Beverage on the Ground (aka BoG) I am convinced that I want to install several. The best direction and distance I have is about 25/205 degrees true; I can put up a two way 1000' + BaG (Beverage above ground) with little to no elevation change. That'll give me 2 wavelengths on 160 and 4 on 80 meters. I have high terrain from about 60 degrees around to 200 degrees true azimuth; everything else is level or lower.

I can get about 500' due west ( high terrain immediately to the east) and about 700' at 50 to 60 degrees.

In order to get those, I would have to cross under high tension wires, and I was thinking that it would be best to run a BoG for those two, possibly even underground for the portion running under the lines. I am thinking of using 16/2 copper landscape wire, which appears to show an impedance around 200 ohms.

Several questions for the group:

1) is it worth it to install a beverage at 25 degrees especially for 160? I'm not sure that I'd get much at that azimuth from FM19

2) I know that it is considered a bad idea to run parallel to power lines, but what about an oblique angled cross?

3) the two BoGs would cover about 100' elevation change, perhaps more. Will that ruin the directional pattern of the Beverage?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Best to all,
Larry KD8WSP