Re: Topband: Skywave vs. Earth Conductivity

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Skywave vs. Earth Conductivity
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 14:50:51 -0500
That describes my situation: I've got essentially a hybrid of a 160M
sloper & INV-L due to my salt marsh antenna wires held up in the
trees. I'm guessing my highest point is 45' and the antenna slopes
upward to touch the first branches 40' away. With that, I worked one
of the Caribbean stations a couple weeks ago using 100W and his first
reply after calling me in the pileup was "My goodness you're loud".
Straight water between here & there except for maybe 5 miles worth of
Long Island & the signal went right over that.

73,

Gary
KA1J

> Rich,
>
> Based a number of others' experiences that I've read, a vertical that is
> very close to the ocean has a significant advantage to paths over the
> ocean, vs. a similar antenna installation that's only a mile (or less)
> inland. I forget the details, but this was discussed at length on this
> reflector last year.
>
> 73, Mike
> www.w0btu.com
>
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 6:43 AM, Richard Fry <rfry@adams.net> wrote:
>
> > There is no visible/useful difference in the radius to that contour over
> > the ocean than over the land.

---