Re: Topband: [Bulk] Re: Skywave vs. Earth Conductivity

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: [Bulk] Re: Skywave vs. Earth Conductivity
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 13:11:10 -0800
On Fri,2/13/2015 12:29 PM, Grant Saviers wrote:
At TX5D (FO-A), I was able to instant A/B a 15m vertical (two elevated radials) at high tide line vs a crankIR tuned on 15m about 70' from high tide. US stations (5k to 7k km) reported 1 to 2 S unit improvements with the antenna nearer to the lagoon salt water. Received signals were at least that much improved.

What radial system did the Crank-IR have? The version that they demo has only one. That could account for at least part of the difference. A greenhorn DX trip used one or more of these antennas, and they were piss-weak.

The nature of the earth under a vertical has a strong impact on its EFFICIENCY -- that is, it burns some the TX power, so that fraction is not radiated, thus never sees the earth in the FAR field, nor does it excite skywave. It is this loss in the earth under the antenna that a radial system reduces. While I'm sure that many of our readers are aware of this, many may not be.

73, Jim K9YC