Re: Topband: K1N 5,399 q's on 160 M

To: KL7RA <kl7ra@ptialaska.net>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: K1N 5,399 q's on 160 M
From: Garry Shapiro <garry@ni6t.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 20:02:32 -0800
Alaska is definitely a very special case....

Garry

On 2/17/2015 7:52 PM, KL7RA wrote:
I logged K1N from W6 early in the expedition at 0857Z on 3 February for
my first QSO with K1N. The absence of Euros made it a relatively easy QSO.
But not for all of North America. I also waited until Europe was shut
off but before the path to Asia started but no luck. K1N could get well
above the noise for many hours but Alaska is in a bad spot on the planet
for these DXpeditions on topband. Payback is stuff in the Pacific.

I didn't start hearing them at all until much later in the trip but had a few
days where I could copy them from their sunset to sunrise but that's no
surprise as we work CO2/KP4 every contest and they can be very
loud on Top here once we get dark soaked.

Their best signal by far was right at their sunset one evening then faded
away and I never heard them again that night.

Finally at their sunrise last Friday early morning when they went QRT
they had a lot of USA and JA's calling. Not a few but a lot and for
sure for me not a relatively easy QSO.

Sorry I never made it but if this band was easy I wouldn't do it.

73 Rich KL7RA