Re: Topband: 160 Tower on 80

To: "Charlie Cunningham" <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com>, "'Glenn Biggerstaff'" <ww4b73@gmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 Tower on 80
From: "KL7RA" <kl7ra@ptialaska.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 18:52:42 -0900
>Any thoughts or alternative ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>Glenn WW4B

Hi Glenn, all of Charlie's, K4OTV ideas work of course but you
did mention alternate ideas. I also have a Rohn 25 insulated base
tower that is 142 feet to the top of the stinger that I use for 160.

By far and the easiest solution 100% guaranteed to work for a
clean switch from 80 to 160 is a second tower some distance
away. Used 25 is relatively cheap and Philly now is sold by a lot
of folks. The only switching is in the shack, etc. Simple is good.

I chose not to use the 2nd tower as a vertical and it supports a 4
square using the DXE hybrid. For the radiating elements I used
dipoles with shield end sharply folded back to the tower. Because
the elements come pretty close together at the top you do lose a
little gain but not that much over verticals and verticals require a
lot of radials where this array just has the one element folded back
for each direction.

This array seems to work so well I build another for 40 meters
under a full size 40 Yagi. At times the Yagi is better as expected
but the ops here like the instant switching and use it a lot.

Added bonus these arrays survive the winter storms here with
100 mph + winds.

73 Rich KL7RA  (now on topband but no one can hear me yet.)