Re: Topband: 160 Tower on 80

To: "'KL7RA'" <kl7ra@ptialaska.net>, "'Glenn Biggerstaff'" <ww4b73@gmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 Tower on 80
From: "Charlie Cunningham" <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 23:42:34 -0500
Hi, Glenn

There's a lot to be said for Rich's approach if you can manage the
additional tower. It does need to be well separated from the 160 tower as
some interaction is likely. You might want to do some modeling in EZNEC
before installing the additional tower. Still phased, or parasite arrays can
provide substantial results for 80 and 160! I built a large 5- element
steerable array for a friend for 80 meters. It had a central 1/4 wave GP
radiartor and 4 surrounding GPs that could be switched between reflector and
director tuning with stubs of ladder line that could be remotely  shorted
with relays to achieve different directions. It was a KILLER antenna for 80
and 75 meters and Jim didn't wait fr anything!! - Even to breaking EU
pile-ups for A61 with ONE CALL from Virginia!! It was a HUGE success!

So, some variatiom of Rich's approach might well have merit!  I would
strongly recommend some advance modeling and experimentation with EZNEC
before installing  the second tower. I have thought of putting an 80m trap
in the top horizontal wire for my inverted L, but I didn't like the idea of
an 80 m trap 70' in the air. So I elected to add a 2nd vertical radiator for
80m and feed it in parallel with the 160 inverted L. That's also an option
for you, if you add an 80m radiator in parallel and run it up the side of
your tower. If you are using elevated radials, you[ would need to add an
additional set for 80m.

Anyway, GL and have fun!

73,
Charlie, K4OTV