Re: Topband: Use of Remote Receivers During 160 Meter Contests

To: Larry Burke <wi5a@sbcglobal.net>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Use of Remote Receivers During 160 Meter Contests
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 10:57:41 -0600

ARRL changed the rules to allow remotes within the country. I didn't. I don't even use remotes. The ARRL also allowed you to move around. These are completely different animals. Since you can move around and work DXCC then why not use Remote radios to work DX, ***********IF you want************* I worked DXCC stuff in Montana while I lived there and here in Colorado. Some people have chosen to start over. DXCC is a personal singular based award. What you do with DXCC and how you chase it has NO impact on my ability to chase my own DXCC.

The alleged IT0XXX who worked K1N from the USA, probably operated that radio outside our laws and regs. He failed to identify properly and might have put the actual station owner at risk to FCC action. Exactly who was in control of that radio and how was this allowed to happen? Remote radio owners who share their stations might want to take note.

Contesting is a specific event on specific dates. If Andy wants to allow remote SDR receivers and that is in the rules then if you want to be competitive you better figure out how to do that ********IF you want*********. Contesting is a competition. DXCC is singular award that can take place over years and years. I can't understand how people think DXCC is a competition. Everyone can get DXCC Honor Roll #1. If we are all sitting at 339 and a new country comes up the guy that gets number 1 is not the first guy that makes it into the log. Everyone gets number 1 that works them and gets it confirmed, right?

If a contest is created that allows participants to use remote radios anywhere in their country or allowed by all the various laws, so be it. Maybe it would be a big hit. It would be quite different than what we have now.

Please explain to me how DXCC relates at all to Contesting.

Mike W0MU