Re: Topband: 9Q0HQ

To: "'Guido Tedeschi'" <guidoted@gmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 9Q0HQ
From: "JC" <n4is@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 14:50:02 -0400
The flag, EWW, K9AY and others loaded loop antenna are indeed two
non-resonant phased vertical phased 180 degree resulting in a cardioid
pattern that provide directivity and a good F/B. When you have another
resonant element nearby the interaction changes the pattern,  depending on
the new resonant element acting as a director or a reflector the new pattern
can be very distorted, and it could be any shape. Any loaded loop RX antenna
near a resonant antenna has useless pattern and most of the time the signal
to noise ratio is the same on the flag or on the resonant antenna.

Detuning fiscally the resonant antenna is a must to improve signal to noise
ratio. No free beef here.

Another factor is the feed line of the flag, Coax does not work well because
the common mode current outside the braid works like a vertical if no choked
properly, twisted pair unshielded is the only way to avoid use of chokes.

Horizontal flag does help but needs to be high above ground.

Regards
JC
N4IS