Re: Topband: ZS6BKW(G5RV) on 160m?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: ZS6BKW(G5RV) on 160m?
From: "Marsh Stewart" <marsh@ka5m.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 09:56:41 -0500
"I am not sure how a 40' tall vertical with 94' of top loading, models in
NEC, but it seems like it might be close-ish(?) to resonating on 160m. (will
I be in the ballpark?) What kind of matching will I need if any?"

Mike,

I modeled a 40' vertical with 92' of top loading on 1.825MZ using EZNEC+
5.0.66. EZNEC+ 5 uses NEC-2. NEC-2 does not like connections to ground with
Real/High Accuracy ground. So I modeled two (2) 65' radials at 6 inches
above Real/High Accuracy ground.

The pattern looks very good with a deep overhead null.

As for feeding the antenna, 40' of vertical and 92 ft of top loading is too
short for 160M.

The calculated feedpoint impedance is 16.22 - J 365.6 ohms. You can add a
series inductor and use a 1:2 balun (50 ohm source to 25 ohm load) and get
the SWR to about 1.5:1.

The actual feedpoint impedance will almost surely be different than
calculated. Before you order/wind a balun and wind an inductor, it might be
a good idea to build the antenna and measure the actual feedpoint impedance.
Then you will know for sure what you need to match. I would not count on an
internal ATU to do the job.

I hope this helps at least some.

73,
Marsh, KA5M