Re: Topband: ZS6BKW(G5RV) on 160m?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: ZS6BKW(G5RV) on 160m?
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 18:12:11 -0300
Marsh, Kevin, Jim, everyone

This is great info.  Hey, thanks guys,.////As I read these comments, I am now
wondering if there is a magic length of coax, that attaches to the 40’ of  450
ladder line that I could short right in/at the improvised vacation shack end,
or just at the interface to the door/window/outside world, where I will be
allowed to bring the coax in the (for lack of a better term), “cottage”….?

It’s a long story, but I am thinking I am going to be limited to one antenna,
and there may not be any more than one coax, and no going in and out the
building in the wee hours of the morning.  A restrictive scenario, but you’ll
just have to trust me.

So, if I could have, let’s say…..10’ of coax in the “shack”, then let’s just
say for example, 40’ feet of coax and then the 40’ of ladder line, could I
short the coax 10’ from the rig in the shack (and even add a coil ?), then if I
wanted to get back on the other bands, simply unshort the 10’ run and put
everything as normal?  My goal would be to work some W1’s/W2’s/VE3’s and
perhaps a G/EA, Carib? on 160m just for mults.  I’d rather not carry too much
gear with me, so if I could get it in the ballpark and let the Icom’s internal
tuner handle a small mismatch, I’d be OK with that.  I might even rethink the 2
gnd radials and tie into the cottage gnd, but whatever works.  I’m not clear
yet what the trip hazard ratio will be where I am at.

Hope I was clear.   Yes, it’s a strange scenario.hi hi, I even laugh, but I
can’t really tell the whole story.  One coax, one antenna-ZS6BKW, no going
outside at night, no external remote tuners …all bands 10-160.  Hmmmmm.

If I had more flexibility, I’d string up an inverted L off my proposed 35’
fiberglass mast and run a 2nd coax, but for this particular place, I am
constricted.

I can build and test this before I leave, but I still have to find bare ground
first.  We still have many FEET of snow everywhere.  Spring has not really
sprung yet.

Mike VE9AA

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB