Topband: Waller Flag Question

To: "'topband'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Waller Flag Question
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 09:55:09 -0400
> "I've replaced all of the SMPS blocks that came in my door with vintage

linear supplies (and some are vintage linear supplies float-charging

sealed lead acid batteries. 73, Jim K9YC"

Same here.  For wall-mounted power supplies, Jameco has an excellent
selection of regulated and non-regulated linear wall supplies.  Prices
typically range between USD $10 - $15.  All wall-mount SMPS in my house have
been replaced with these.   Jameco sells both SMPS and linear types so be
careful with your selection.  For higher current, look to their selection of
linear desktop blocks.  These are the type with cabling on both ends of the
block that are similar to the style used on laptop PCs.

Despite my dislike for Anderson Powerpole (APP) connectors, I do use them as
an in-line adapter if the supplied connector at the end of the new wall
supply is not the same as required on the appliance (e.g., 2.1 mm where
2.5mm is needed)  - or if the appliance is hard-wired to the supply.  I find
it more convenient to use the APP as an in-line splice than solder a new
coaxial DC connector on the cable end.

For even higher current in the 5A-15A class, consider open-frame, linear OEM
supplies from PowerOne, Condor, and International Power, available on-line
through Mouser and other industrial suppliers of electronic components.
These supplies require your own AC input cabling and fuse protection.

Paul, W9AC